Thread: William THORNTON on Private Attorney

William THORNTON on Private Attorney

Here is a snippet from a few years back.

Is this different from the concept of private attorney general?

I admit I haven't listened to the audio yet, but I will.

I am not real sure if he knows what he is talking about. Later in the seminar, which was about the Bicycle Helmet Case it occured to me that at that time, many years ago, the case had lasted eleven years already! I asked him if that was correct, if I was reading the dates correctly and it kind of rained on the parade...

Now that may not really be saying that there is nothing to this. It would show some kind of recognition that the statutory court has no ability to clear the case off the docket?

The more interesting component is William's cohorts. Richard McDONALD and SRI David C. CONRAD. The three of these fellows were researching together.

That really brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    I am not real sure if he knows what he is talking about. Later in the seminar, which was about the Bicycle Helmet Case it occured to me that at that time, many years ago, the case had lasted eleven years already! I asked him if that was correct, if I was reading the dates correctly and it kind of rained on the parade...

Now that may not really be saying that there is nothing to this. It would show some kind of recognition that the statutory court has no ability to clear the case off the docket?

The more interesting component is William's cohorts. Richard McDONALD and SRI David C. CONRAD. The three of these fellows were researching together.

That really brings back memories.
    Just for clarification ...

There are attorneys in fact and attorneys at law. The latter receives a grant from court to practice law business.

I say that one becomes a private attorney when he personally and competently administers his business with regard to law.

A private attorney general has more to do with governments and their courts.

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
    Just for clarification ...

There are attorneys in fact and attorneys at law. The latter receives a grant from court to practice law business.

I say that one becomes a private attorney when he personally and competently administers his business with regard to law.

A private attorney general has more to do with governments and their courts.
    Interesting! Do you have some more?

Interesting! Do you have some more?
    I do.
    I have to hunt for it though.
    There was a really nice treatise outlining in detail the difference between an attorney in fact and an attorney at law.

I'll do some digging. Get back to this thread.

Here is a nifty treatise on attorneys:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Iow...%20law&f=false

An attorney general was the attorney representing the king and his interests in law business.

There is also the concept of the private attorney general, but this is a citizen still acting in the interest of the king or public in place of elected legal official.
    Last edited by shikamaru; 04-21-12 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
    Here are some nifty treatises on attorneys:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Iow...%20law&f=false

An attorney general was the attorney representing the king and his interests in law business.

There is also the concept of the private attorney general, but this is a citizen still acting in the interest of the king or public in place of elected legal official.
    Thank you! I am always learning around here.

Thank you! I am always learning around here.
    Attorney general actually comes from Law French. It initially was to distinguish from an attorney with a specialty. In time, it became the office of Attorney General, representative of the king.