Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a name property ??

Is a name property ??

Is a name, an appellation property?

Quote Originally Posted by shikamaru View Post
    Is a name, an appellation property?

Where did you put those two words together?

Appellation definition.

Last edited by David Merrill; 05-15-12 at 12:24 AM.

Interesting.
    I'm glad you dug that up.

Don't go with the term appellation .

That is interesting all right.

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    That is interesting all right.
    I wondering about a policy enforcement officer demanding your name essentially.

I wonder if the demand is for the record and not the name so much?

The name is merely the keyword.

The policy enforcement officer is demanding your assistance in managing his principal's records.

Great Find Shikamaru!

Great Find Shikamaru!
    I want to get down to the theory of why a person detained on the street "must" identify themselves to law enforcement.

I want to get down to the theory of why a person detained on the street "must" identify themselves to law enforcement.
    I believe the basis of being detained on the street is probable cause.

I believe the basis of being detained on the street is probable cause.
    Actually, if an officer does not have probable cause to believe a crime has been or is about to be committed, a person cannot be legally detained. Sadly, the definition of probable cause is whatever the officer is smart enough to articulate it is. In other words, an officer can create probable cause out of nothing.

Their SCOTUS has pronounced that all one is required to give an officer who has probable cause is "a name". Notice it is singular "a" name. The officer will then press for "full name" or "last name" or "date of birth" but there is no legal requirement for anything but "a" name.

Without probable cause, there is no requirement for anyone to even utter a word nor provide any information to a cop during a "field interview". Nor is there any requirement for anyone to have a legal name or last name.

Several times when I was an officer, I attempted to talk to persons in the street and the smart ones simply walked away from me, which was fine, since if I had PC, I usually just placed them under arrest without trying to bait them into a conversation to get it.