Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Fine Kettle of Fish

An implied qualification, based on the circumstances surrounding the endorsement to a third party, will not be recognized by the courts.

implied qualification had to research that word implied qualification from without recourse
    Last edited by Chex; 09-16-12 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    An implied qualification, based on the circumstances surrounding the endorsement to a third party, will not be recognized by the courts.

implied qualification had to research that word implied qualification from without recourse
    Thanks for that tasty morsel.

I also found this . It sounds like what this guy tried.

Fake Checks: Variations on a Scheme
    Counterfeit or fake checks are being used in a growing number of fraudulent schemes, including foreign lottery scams (as described above), check overpayment scams, Internet auction scams, and secret shopper scams.

Check overpayment scams target consumers selling cars or other valuable items through classified ads or online auction sites. Unsuspecting sellers get stuck when scammers pass off bogus cashier?s checks, corporate checks, or personal checks. Here?s how it happens:

A scam artist replies to a classified ad or auction posting, offers to pay for the item with a check, and then comes up with a reason for writing the check for more than the purchase price. The scammer asks the seller to wire back the difference after depositing the check. The seller does it, and later, when the scammer?s check bounces, the seller is left liable for the entire amount.
    Blessed is he who keeps from stumbling over me.

I'm glad you were cautious and then discovered the scam info. These types of scams have been perpetrated for quite some time and are common knowledge among craigslist users.

That check came back today, no great surprise. I wrote back to the sender and told him to have "his mover" meet "my cousin" at his office in Atlanta. I gave the address as 226 Peachtree Street SW, and to ask for John Dalton. Since he actually is the Deputy Chief of the Criminal Investigation Division of the Atlanta PD he will probably just do a quick u-turn in the parking lot, after wasting an hour driving one way.
    Blessed is he who keeps from stumbling over me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Howard View Post
    That check came back today, no great surprise. I wrote back to the sender and told him to have "his mover" meet "my cousin" at his office in Atlanta. I gave the address as 226 Peachtree Street SW, and to ask for John Dalton. Since he actually is the Deputy Chief of the Criminal Investigation Division of the Atlanta PD he will probably just do a quick u-turn in the parking lot, after wasting an hour driving one way.

Slick! That will learn him!

I was selling a high end mountain bike a few yrs ago and got a check from a car dealership in Calif. It was made out for more with instructions where to send the extra money. We let our bank check it out as bogus and then sent it to my wifes sister who works in the Tx. Attorney General office. Never heard if anything was done but didn't get taken.