Quote Originally Posted by Seosaidh View Post
In California, the state offers a state ID card. The DL is not an ID. Are you saying the thumbprint on the DL application then serves as identifying government personnel? I see your reasoning, but the DL is also linked with the Social Security account. If someone exercises the privilege of accepting the DL, what does it matter if he's a government person or not?

The way it looks to me is, I signed True Name, which is different than the FIRST MIDDLE LAST named on the license. My intent was to begin operating in society by my true name, and the DL was my first step. Interesting sidenote: Since I wasn't requjired to sign the certifications under penalty of perjury, I had expected the new license to be issued with my old signature. Just yesterday I received it in the mail, and it has my True Name signature.

At any rate, this has been a very thought provoking exercise for me. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, and am looking forward to expanding on this tiny beginning. I recognize now more than ever the importance of redeeming lawful money. I wish there was a less expensive way to form a competent record other than at District Court.
In Colorado you do not have to give a SSN to get a driver license. Find §42-2-107(3)(a):

(3) (a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection (3), an application for a driver's or minor driver's license shall include the applicant's social security number, which shall remain confidential and shall not be placed on the applicant's driver's or minor driver's license; except that such confidentiality shall not extend to the state child support enforcement agency, the department, or a court of competent jurisdiction when requesting information in the course of activities authorized under article 13 of title 26, C.R.S., or article 14 of title 14, C.R.S. If the applicant does not have a social security number, the applicant shall submit a sworn statement made under penalty of law, together with the application, stating that the applicant does not have a social security number.
Therefore be careful about what you get tricked into as "voluntary". That nexus is there but I do not understand what Social Security has to do with operating a motor vehicle.