From Wikipedia

"Gift
originally had the same meaning in English and German. In Old High German and Middle High German Gift was the term for an "object that is given". Although it had always included a euphemistic meaning for "poison" ("being given"), over the following centuries it gradually suffered a full
semantic change to the sole present German meaning "poison". It is still reflected in the German term for the English word dowry = Mitgift, das Mitgegebene, "that which is given" (with the wedding).[7] In Swedish, Norwegian and Danish, gift means "poison" but also "married". In Dutch, "gift" means a gift, but "gif" and "giftig" (or "vergiftig") mean poison and poisonous respectively. The latter two meanings also apply for the Afrikaans language, spoken in Southern Africa, which originated from Old Dutch amongst others."

Could the reason behind the original etymology be due to the fact that anything supposedly "given" as as "gift" requires the belief and understanding of both parties that: 1) the one "giving" is "giving" something of their own issue and has the full right and authority to "give" it; and, 2) the one receiving the "gift" has the full right and authority to claim "ownership" of what was "given".

Think about what "gifts" you may have claimed to have "given" in the past and tell me if you had any right and authority to actually "give" it to someone else.

The "poison" is the mindset that something "given" was "MINE" to give in the first place and the receiving party claiming what was "given" to be now "MINE" as well.

Ergo the notion of mere USE and the surrender of USE rather than "it is MINE" and I either "sell" or "gift" it to someone else.

Food for thought.