Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to play the game

Time to play the game

A girlfriend of mine just got a seatbelt ticket today. She was wearing the belt but it was behind her shoulder (lap belt only). The maximum fine is $25 if proven guilty so she has given me free reign to do as I please on her behalf (or coach her).

Would it interest the suitors and the brain trust for me to thoroughly document this and perhaps share ideas about how to best proceed on each leg of the journey? I've been itching to get me feet wet.

Details as stated so far: State Trooper, rural county - probably held in municipal court at the local county court house.

R4C first?

I figure at $25 it's the perfect test subject. At bear minimum I would like to make this cost them far more than what they're trying to extort from my friend.

(If I am in the wrong forum please excuse me)

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAJiPS View Post
    A girlfriend of mine just got a seatbelt ticket today. She was wearing the belt but it was behind her shoulder (lap belt only). The maximum fine is $25 if proven guilty so she has given me free reign to do as I please on her behalf (or coach her).

Would it interest the suitors and the brain trust for me to thoroughly document this and perhaps share ideas about how to best proceed on each leg of the journey? I've been itching to get me feet wet.

Details as stated so far: State Trooper, rural county - probably held in municipal court at the local county court house.

R4C first?

I figure at $25 it's the perfect test subject. At bear minimum I would like to make this cost them far more than what they're trying to extort from my friend.

It will be an administrative court seated with a magistrate more than likely.

Traffic court is a great way to gain court experience. In fact, many new lawyers start out in traffic court.

I'm interested in hearing about whatever you do. Very interested.

R4C first?

It is a bad idea to go about this in this manner. For one thing by and large remedy is between your ears. You are proposing to play metaphysician for somebody else. The brain trust is formed by suitors who have published default judgments in place. There may be other courts of competent jurisdiction but being able to show evidence of that goes a long way. Doing teaches a lot and what you are doing will likely fail at best and may get your girlfriend into some trouble.

For example your girlfriend was effectively jailed, called detained. She has been released on a $250 bail bond pending appearance. I should have saved it but I have seen proof of this in one State or another, I forget. The State owns her driver license and the State presumes the privilege of driving is worth about $250 to her.

I met a fellow who challenged jurisdiction at the arraignment. He was spouting some of the typical patriot mythologies and a few days later he got a letter notifying him there was a warrant out on him. He went to discuss it and was handcuffed and placed under arrest but made a call and a friend showed up with a checkbook to write him a $250 bail bond. The magistrate had determined that the driver license in his possession was not worth $250 to him so he had to post the bond in endorsed FRNs (they would not accept cash - check only - Pay to the Order of...).

However, if your girlfriend wants to play around fine. We all want to know how it goes. I suggest that if it becomes a little hairy she pull cash out of her shirt pocket and ask directions to the cashier.
    Last edited by David Merrill; 01-11-13 at 03:50 AM.

This is what I want to hear. Opinions. I feel I'm competent enough now to start off in traffic court, but you're Leary of doing it in someone else's behalf? I DON'T want to get her in any tangible trouble so maybe I should ease off a tad? I really think its a crap charge

This is what I want to hear. Opinions. I feel I'm competent enough now to start off in traffic court, but you're Leary of doing it in someone else's behalf? I DON'T want to get her in any tangible trouble so maybe I should ease off a tad? I really think its a crap charge
    A court may not allow you to do it on someone else's behalf.
    This is bordering on "practicing law without a license" ....

UPL (Unauthorized Practice of Law) is unlikely if BamaJips avoids signing anything for her.

My point is more along the lines that natural law is more metaphysics and one cannot have that kind of standing through representation. So your point is valid Shikamaru. If you have some understanding of metaphysics you might teach her however.

I recall returning a writ coram vobis (not coram nobis) by simply retitling a federal court generated document. We just went up to the third floor law library and I explained it to the suitor, and wrote it on there for him to sign. The clerk had to file it even though it was a foreign writ but the suitor said, You realize I am trusting you to know what you are doing. I did. But it is unwise to trust in others and in such positions of trust there are liabilities as well as benefits.

No no- not represent her... Coach- merely point out the laws in conflict and let her decide what she feels is best. I see how it could get dicey and spiral out of control - however she listens with great interest when I go on about these things. She's intrigued.
    I was thinking along the lines of Marc Stevens of Adventures in Legal Land fame if anyone is familiar with his work. He apparently uses parking tickets as a fairly cheap way to get your foot in the door and "break the ice" and train in techniques of handling ones own legal affairs. David mentions a precaution that it could end up costing in excess of $200 - something I'm sure neither she or I would like to see.
    If it was me, I already have an entire legal argument written upon my mind, but I've been studying this stuff for a solid three months (I know that's a drop in the bucket but I'm amazed at what I have been able to uncover and retain in that short period of time).

So it appears in my zeal to slay the beast, maybe I inserted my foot into my mouth. It probably would be prudent and best for her to be competent to handle her own affairs completely.

I face the man in black robes Monday morning at 9:am for a review. If I survive that round (they may imprison me for a debt which is unconstitutional according to my state) I plan to start filing the papers that are sure to piss the judge off...
    I was just hoping for a dose of ego boost I suppose. A confidence builder. That's the wrong attitude to have and I stand corrected.
    Maybe the end result of this is I can turn her on to her own studies where she may be confident enough to handle her own affairs. I would hate to see her expenses jacked up because I suggested something that pissed the judge off.

:-/ like y'all said - no silver bullet.

-regard

cash it in,
    put the redeemed for lawful money stamp on it and sent it off to the top bank,

No no- not represent her... Coach- merely point out the laws in conflict and let her decide what she feels is best. I see how it could get dicey and spiral out of control - however she listens with great interest when I go on about these things. She's intrigued.
    I was thinking along the lines of Marc Stevens of Adventures in Legal Land fame if anyone is familiar with his work. He apparently uses parking tickets as a fairly cheap way to get your foot in the door and "break the ice" and train in techniques of handling ones own legal affairs. David mentions a precaution that it could end up costing in excess of $200 - something I'm sure neither she or I would like to see.
    If it was me, I already have an entire legal argument written upon my mind, but I've been studying this stuff for a solid three months (I know that's a drop in the bucket but I'm amazed at what I have been able to uncover and retain in that short period of time).

So it appears in my zeal to slay the beast, maybe I inserted my foot into my mouth. It probably would be prudent and best for her to be competent to handle her own affairs completely.

I face the man in black robes Monday morning at 9:am for a review. If I survive that round (they may imprison me for a debt which is unconstitutional according to my state) I plan to start filing the papers that are sure to piss the judge off...
    I was just hoping for a dose of ego boost I suppose. A confidence builder. That's the wrong attitude to have and I stand corrected.
    Maybe the end result of this is I can turn her on to her own studies where she may be confident enough to handle her own affairs. I would hate to see her expenses jacked up because I suggested something that pissed the judge off.

:-/ like y'all said - no silver bullet.

-regard
    Well, in the name of fun, go for it.

Again be keen if the magistrates asks her to explain why she should not be held in contempt of court that she pulls out a wad and (remembering that the record is an audio recording), I have cash in hand your honor. Could you please direct me to the cashier so I can settle this matter immediately?