Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Wynn MILLER speaks out in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    This rumor (on the other thread) that the Bar took 200 years to "take hold" in America....
    I don't do rumors generally.
    If it is such, I preface my statements.

A History of the American Bar by Charles Warren

For many years during the colonies and sometime afterwards, there was "law without lawyers".

Indeed in Colorado according to the constitution I can be a lawyer if I have a couple lawyers witness me "Learned in the Law". I meant no offense. The "rumor" would be that it took 200 years, meaning around 1976. The Administrative Acts were pretty complete among the States about 1969. That is why I called upon the R-word.

Indeed in Colorado according to the constitution I can be a lawyer if I have a couple lawyers witness me "Learned in the Law". I meant no offense. The "rumor" would be that it took 200 years, meaning around 1976. The Administrative Acts were pretty complete among the States about 1969. That is why I called upon the R-word.
    None taken.

There are the terms country lawyer, "reading law", and "admission to the bar" ......

There are also federal bar and state bar associations.

There are other bar associations as well including student bar organizations.

The first national bar association is the American Bar Association established in 1878.
    The National Bar Association was originally formed by African-American attorneys because the ABA would not accept them. It was established in 1925

Bar and bench have some similarities, otherwise, bar is the whole body of lawyers of a given group.

You may find those terms useful.

In reading that book, A History of the American Bar, there was a federal bar in 1789 for the U.S. Supreme Court.

A national bar organization had not been established until the late 1880s.
    Where there are a group of attorneys or a court, a bar may be established.
    Last edited by shikamaru; 01-18-13 at 02:03 PM.

It would seem that the Bar actually captured the judiciary in early 1933 just before FDR's inauguration:

P.S. One suitor got a county judge to admit that he is an active attorney in open court. He actually explained that all county judges had to be in good standing with the Bar Association and the Supreme Court is of course the administration of the Bar. Then he wrote a letter recusing himself for Conflict of Interest...

I forgot one.... don't forget the American Inns of Court .....

P.S. One suitor got a county judge to admit that he is an active attorney in open court. He actually explained that all county judges had to be in good standing with the Bar Association and the Supreme Court is of course the administration of the Bar. Then he wrote a letter recusing himself for Conflict of Interest...
    Funny you should say that. I contested a parking ticket years ago through the mail. The verdict gave the judges name on it. I looked up the judge and found out he was an esquire. Knowing he cannot represent me I called him at his office anyway. I told him about it and he remembered. He said I can’t represent you I charged you with that ticket. I told him I don’t care lets go to the address on the ticket, take pictures showing the court I was wrongly convicted by a judge in a court of law so I can get my money back. He said you can’t hire me. I said I be at your office in an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    Funny you should say that. I contested a parking ticket years ago through the mail. The verdict gave the judges name on it. I looked up the judge and found out he was an esquire. Knowing he cannot represent me I called him at his office anyway. I told him about it and he remembered. He said I can’t represent you I charged you with that ticket. I told him I don’t care lets go to the address on the ticket, take pictures showing the court I was wrongly convicted by a judge in a court of law so I can get my money back. He said you can’t hire me. I said I be at your office in an hour.
    That is a laugh! I told the judge who convicted me of traffic stuff I charged $200/hour and then got work release with that judge as my employer. The first day of work release I was required to go get a signature on a form, from my employer. I was in jail up in the mountains and by the time I got to the courthouse I hear that he suddenly came down with laryngitis and was scrambling around on the floor finding other judges to take his docket for the day. He was gone when I arrived!