Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying With A Hundred Dollar Bill? Prepare To Fill Out A Form

folks, you are amazing. I learn each time I am able to visit here.
    Yesterday I bought gas for my car. i have taken to paying in cash, lawful money, for several reasons,but mostly
    because I am given a 5 cent per gallon discount for said cash.

While my small car doesn't take all that much, the $100 bill i used to pay really threw the attendant a curve.
    They clearly state they don't accept checks, so it was that or nothing.

Glad Walter hadn't made been there to voice the knowledge regarding making change.

I had never been told that before.

Its special to have a place where I can be pretty much assured I will learn something new with each visit.

I took it with a grain of salt originally. Something is disturbingly familiar about the precepts Walter brings though - inherent in the nature of legal tender, rather than money of value. Maybe that disturbance emotionally is the blatant recognition that the value in fiat/elastic stock in the Fed is completely mental, and completely neurotic.

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    Interesting thought. Is that Trebilcock v. Wilson?
    No.
    I came across this before with a plumbing store that did not accept any cash period.
    So I thought they were wrong and looked up the acts and statues to prove they were.
    I found the opposite.

This is from the Bank of Canada web site:

"What Is “Legal Tender?”

The Bank is often asked why bank notes are called “legal tender” if merchants can refuse them. A “tender” is an offer of payment of a debt, including all the usual purchases consumers make every day. Payment may take many forms, such as cheques, credit and debit cards, coins and bank notes. “Legal tender” refers to the money approved for paying debts. If bank notes are being offered as payment, they must have been issued by the Bank of Canada because no other bank notes are "legal tender" in Canada.

This does not force anyone to accept cash because both parties must agree on the payment method. The fact that bank notes are legal tender does not mean that there is a legal obligation to accept them."

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes...s/past-series/

This brings up another great point.
    "both parties must agree on the payment method"

In court they want legal tender for fine/debt payment.
    Well both parties have to agree on the payment method.

I have seen lawyers refuse Promissory Notes in court and they expressed to the judge that the "judge would refuse this payment to is he saw what was tendered."

So we the people should refuse using legal tender as a payment method for their fines/debts as a payment method.

After all, both parties have to agree on the payment method.

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    No.
    I came across this before with a plumbing store that did not accept any cash period.
    So I thought they were wrong and looked up the acts and statues to prove they were.
    I found the opposite.

This is from the Bank of Canada web site:

"What Is “Legal Tender?”

The Bank is often asked why bank notes are called “legal tender” if merchants can refuse them. A “tender” is an offer of payment of a debt, including all the usual purchases consumers make every day. Payment may take many forms, such as cheques, credit and debit cards, coins and bank notes. “Legal tender” refers to the money approved for paying debts. If bank notes are being offered as payment, they must have been issued by the Bank of Canada because no other bank notes are "legal tender" in Canada.

This does not force anyone to accept cash because both parties must agree on the payment method. The fact that bank notes are legal tender does not mean that there is a legal obligation to accept them."

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes...s/past-series/

This brings up another great point.
    "both parties must agree on the payment method"

In court they want legal tender for fine/debt payment.
    Well both parties have to agree on the payment method.

I have seen lawyers refuse Promissory Notes in court and they expressed to the judge that the "judge would refuse this payment to is he saw what was tendered."

So we the people should refuse using legal tender as a payment method for their fines/debts as a payment method.

After all, both parties have to agree on the payment method.
    I don't know about Canada, but the US money of account is the Dollar as defined in 1792 Coinage Act:

Section 20. And be if further enacted, That the money of account of the United States shall be expressed in dollars, or units, dismes or tenths, cents or hundredths, and the milles or thousandths, a disme being the tenth part of a dollar, a cent the hundredth part of a dollar, a mille the thousandth part of a dollar, and that all accounts in the public offices and all proceedings in the courts of the United States shall be kept and had in conformity to this regulation.
    So now we see that in court proceedings, the money of account is the Dollar as defined by this act. What if - in a controversy with the gov't - you agreed to pay any charges incurred on the condition that the lawful money of account be used?

Seems to me the only response gov't could have would be to go silent.

http://constitution.org/uslaw/coinage1792.txt
    Last edited by Keith Alan; 03-27-13 at 02:18 PM. Reason: removed a word, inserted link

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Alan View Post
    I don't know about Canada, but the US money of account is the Dollar as defined in 1792 Coinage Act:

So now we see that in court proceedings, the money of account is the Dollar as defined by this act. What if - in a controversy with the gov't - you agreed to pay any charges incurred on the condition that the lawful money of account be used?

Seems to me the only response gov't could have would be to go silent.

http://constitution.org/uslaw/coinage1792.txt
    On receipt of the commercial presentment of charges, the offer is accepted upon the following conditions:

1. That proof and presentment of a valid, verified, and bona fide claim, obligating the payment of the charges be made; and
    2. That in light of the Coinage Act of April 2, 1792, the dollar as defined being the lawful money of account be received so as to pay, settle and close the matter.

--- I'm curious what you all think about this. This erases the controversy, and forces them to either refuse, counter offer, accept or go silent. If they refuse, it is with dishonor, since the offer to pay in the lawful money of account is good. The payment will be deemed as made. If they counter offer, they would be admitting they're in the private, so that will never happen. There is no money, so they can't accept. Silent is ther only viable option, which also is dishonor.

bobbinville
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Allan View Post
    folks, you are amazing. I learn each time I am able to visit here.
    Yesterday I bought gas for my car. i have taken to paying in cash, lawful money, for several reasons,but mostly
    because I am given a 5 cent per gallon discount for said cash.

While my small car doesn't take all that much, the $100 bill i used to pay really threw the attendant a curve.
    They clearly state they don't accept checks, so it was that or nothing.

Glad Walter hadn't made been there to voice the knowledge regarding making change.

I had never been told that before.

Its special to have a place where I can be pretty much assured I will learn something new with each visit.
    I've asked some stores why they don't do this; and they say that they are concerned about losses due to counterfeiting -- color printers are getting better and better. I've seen instances where someone bleached out a $5 bill and then printed a $100 over it -- and those fancy counterfeit detector pens often don't work, because they react to the paper and indicate that the bill is genuine. Of course, that's an incentive to do as counterfeiters do in Canada, where the $20 bill is the most counterfeited note.