Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Greetings! Grace and peace be upon you.

First post. Just trying to comprehend the use of True Name (John Henry) as compared to Legal Name (John Henry Doe).

1. Why is True Name used?
True name, or "given name," is used to separate the man or woman from accidentally appearing and being the surety for their strawman’s name, (like in court), which always has the FIRST MIDDLE LAST. This is where people get trapped by the defacto and end up in jail or paying fines: because they answer to that commercial name. The courts are aware of the difference between the given and the strawman. It’s a trick they use to lure people in.

2. Where did the concept come from
I believe it goes back several centuries, probably more. The last name described the business the family was in, like the Smith family had a business of blacksmiths or goldsmiths. Or the Miller family owned a mill and made textiles. This was used for commerce by the king to keep track of the serfs. And since we are trying to not be serfs, we avoid answering to the commercial last name.

3. What needs to be done (paperwork, etc) to establish its use as opposed to Legal Name? Any negative experience?
Mainly what you did with your affidavit establishes it, using a notary or two witnesses. But just use your “given” name (first and middle.) “Date of birth” is defacto language. “Birthday” is ok. Or “at least 25 years of age, age of majority”.

I have heard of freedom peeps using their family name in their freedom ID so there’s flexibility when going to the bank, but they distinguish it as a family name using punctuation, like John-Allen: Doe. This is a debatable topic. No zip code is used for the address and “non-domestic without the United States” is added to exit the federal zone.

4. I use an Affidavit of Identification (self created and notarized photo ID), that I use as ID. I even used it while redeeming Lawful Money at a bank (as one of the two IDs). It has my Legal Name. Should I use True Name instead?
I haven't much experience in this department, but more academically-oriented answers should be along shortly. Cheers!