I e-mailed ICBC (Insurance Company of British Columbia) who claims the rules of the road and asked them an innocent question about who needs a Driver License.

I used the "i am ignorant and you are the almighty" approach so they will respond.

Here is the question and here is their answer.

Question:

Good day.

I am trying to explain to my offspring that a

driver's license is required for men and women to

travel on the roads.

It would help greatly if I can show them the

law that says men and women are required by law

to have a drivers license to travel on the roads.

Can you please forward me the info of my

request to explain this matter better then I can.

The more specific and direct the info is the

better chance I have in making then understand.

Thank you so much in advance for your help in

explaining this matter.

ICBC Answer:

Thank you for your email dated July 25, 2013.

As per section 2, Application of Act in the BC Motor Vehicle Act:

Application of Act

2 (1) In this section, "private road" means a private road used by the public for vehicular traffic with permission of the owner or licensee of the road.

(10) Despite this section, but subject to subsection (11), a person must not drive or operate a motor vehicle or trailer referred to in this section unless

(a) the person holds a subsisting driver's licence of a class appropriate to the category of motor vehicle driven or operated,

(b) the person is insured under a valid and subsisting driver's certificate, and

(c) the motor vehicle and the trailer, if any, are insured under a valid and subsisting motor vehicle liability policy evidenced by an owner's certificate.

(11) Subsection (10) applies only to motor vehicles or trailers or drivers referred to in this section that are designated by order of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.

Regards,

If you have further questions about driver licensing, please feel free to call ICBC Customer Contact at 1-800-950-1498. A representative is available to assist you by telephone between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time Monday through Friday, and from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays.