Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Notice and Demand to the Fed

Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
    Yes! You are worth your weight in gold already, having just been cleared to post outright!

Some US Bank (I believe) employees were fired and ten (suitor/trustee) accounts were closed down without explanation. A likely explanation is that the bank was caught by the OCC treating special deposits like regular deposits. So my presumption is that your bank or credit union is treating all funds in your account as non-endorsed special deposits, just to be safe.

We (brain trust) have noticed that credit unions have much less concern about non-endorsement. I did not consider why carefully until you gave me some details. I figure that all you need for fractional lending is insurance for a "run" on the vault. Either the FDIC or the NCUA will run an armored car over should that ever happen. I suspect that the Credit Unions are not bound to federal risk management nearly as strictly as Banks. However the authority would likely be the insurance company?
    There is a distinction with respect to a bank or financial institution being a member of an FRB and holding an account at an FRB (i.e. these are clearinghouse accounts for settlement and netting). Credit unions and state banks afaik might hold accounts with an FRB without being a 'member bank'. All national banking associations are required to become FRB members AFAIK.

Related: What is the advantage of putting your money in a Fed member bank versus a bank that is a nonmember? How do you know which banks are Fed members? (Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco).

National banks chartered by the federal government are, by law, members of the Federal Reserve System. State-chartered banks may choose to become members of the Federal Reserve System if they meet the standards set by the Board of Governors. Each member bank is required to subscribe to stock in its regional Federal Reserve Bank, but holding Federal Reserve stock is not like holding publicly traded stock. Reserve Bank stock cannot be sold, traded, or pledged as collateral for loans. As specified by law, member banks receive a six percent annual dividend on their Federal Reserve Bank stock; member banks also vote for Class A and Class B directors of the Reserve Bank.
    U.S. Bank N.A. is a national banking association chartered under the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency of the U.S. Credit unions, however are typically State chartered financial institutions. Perhaps the aspect of holding stock in an FRB brings with it an encouragement to maximize the profits by feeding off of as many clueless customers as possible? With credit unions and state banks being non-members and non-stock-holders perhaps they could care less--all an FRB might be for them is a clearinghouse rather than a potential profit source.

We (brain trust) have noticed that credit unions have much less concern about non-endorsement. I did not consider why carefully until you gave me some details.
    It could also be that state banks and credit unions might tend to face more staunch troubles for usury than a nationally associated bank might.
    Last edited by allodial; 10-19-13 at 04:20 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Just gave it some thought on how it was possible to get an account at Navy Fed without entering a SSN.

I created my account online. And when I call the support line for anything to do with my checkings account they never ask me for my SSN.

But since I have a credit card they do ask me for SSN since it's part of the application process.

So it turns out I don't have my bank account tied to a SSN and haven't signed a signature card perse

I hope this is a good place for a question. If not, my apologies. Anyway, recently the credit union I use started asking people to sign for cash received. In other words, the deposit is made, and if you want cash back - even small amounts - they ask for a signature on one of those electronic signature recorders.

I think that's interesting. Has anyone experienced this? Or is it something my credit union is doing, for whatever reason?

Also, if one makes the demand while using the signature recorder, wouldn't that suffice as proof of demand?