Thread: Proper way to register a birth

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EZrhythm View Post
    A birth record written in a bible is accepted as a birth record when applying for a USA passport. I don't recall if there are any "witness" requirements.
    And this comment is why I keep coming back here... This is fascinating.

APPLICANTS BORN IN THE U.S.
    Submit previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate. A birth certificate must include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, both parents' names, place the birth record was filed, and seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records. A record filed more than one year after birth is acceptable if it is supported by evidence. If no birth record exists, submit registrars notice to that effect. Also, submit an early baptismal or circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, early census, school, family Bible records, newspaper or insurance files, or notarized affidavits of persons having knowledge of your birth (preferably with at least one (1) record listed above). Evidence should include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, and seal or other certification of office (if customary) and signature of issuing official.
    No social security number gets you a passport. A passport is used as ID for just about anything. My question, what is the difference between "your given name" and "your surname".

**Edit As a side note, hospitals are registered as ports of entry or debarkation (http://law.onecle.com/uscode/24/322.html), basically the child born is assumed to be a foreigner and a "port of entry" blacks law 6th edition - "One of the ports designated by law, at which a custom-house or revenue office is established for the execution of the laws imposing duties on vessels and importations of goods. Port where immigrants arrive." 8 USSCA 1221
    Last edited by mikecz; 06-19-14 at 03:21 AM.