The question for me is; how is it Line 21 - Other Income has been defined as to where Redemption of Lawful Money is properly stated?
I ask this group why not, possibly, Line(s) 40, & or 42 wouldn't be the much more logical avenue.

Other Income Line 21 as a < > negative number just seems confusing.
Is it we are trying to modify, break the connection to the presumption of Income?

Whereas, Line 40 Deductions seems so much easier & logical to express there, and more aligned with what presumably, IRS might be better able to process.

What is presently define as "Standard Deduction" is $1000 for a filing individual..., (UNLESS like myself, I can't claim ANY Standard Deduction, as current rules apply that, if your spouse files separately, AND includes Itemized Deduction(s), filer, (me) is NOT allowed to take the "Standard Deduction")

As learned, probably on this site, that $1000 is "allowed" since it is the presumption of your usage of United States coinage. [Lawful Money].
So, in this regard, this is where IRS is pointing to filers as to where to place Lawful Money deductions...., in my opinion.
Granted, there are defined constraints & restrictions, and boundaries around "deduction(s)", but this really shouldn't be any different in practice than accessing & utilizing Line 21 - Other Income(?), except a Filer will then be entering $ amounts, but in positive numbers.
This just seems more aligned with the published law & ongoing practice of finding & utilizing deductions, to reduce / lower presumed Income.

I suggest Lawful Money is a deduction, not necessarily confined to use on Line 21.
While it has certainly shown itself to be practical, to this point, is it possible another valid approach might be usage of Line 40, and or Line 42?

Additionally, for myself, I would suggest Line 42 may also serve my filing needs, since this line is where Exemptions are stated.
For 2013 Filing, a wet ink - updated W-4 was provided to my employer with Line 7 informing on my "Mandatory Exception per 12 USC 411.

Being this Thread is ~ "What does an ...think?:, anybody care to weigh in?

One last point; since I have yet to receive my 2013 Federal 1040 refund, I maintain IRS is improperly holding my Lawful Money - refund, since on & for the Record, before any payment entries are ever made to me, what WILL be paid to me is demanded, Lawful Money.

IRS believes it is retaining my paid in withholding on presumed tax due for Income.
By my accounting, IRS is in possession of, (my) Lawful Money.
They wrongly think it to be tax receipts since it was given to them by my employer.

Mark Allan