Thread: "Lawful Money" definition? attn:David

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    I get it, I really do but I need to be certain, beyond the shadow of any doubt. this is serious stuff. if one were to risk his skin on a certain job where a mistake would be more costly than he could correct, he needs very precise information. this is what I do.. I wont even begin actual work until I have gone over the details/diagrams/instructions/etc. (FACTS IN EVIDENCE) and have a 100% understanding of what exactly needs to be done. this makes me not only competent but also confident.
    It might be worth considering the type of authority being wielded as to the 'shall' be lawful money of FRNs--likely it was territorial / plenary power but not organic lawful authority. As in they mean 'they shall be lawful money' in the sense of 'legal' but not necessarily in the sense of organic law. If you want to be specific about lawful money you can say that you mean lawful money per the Coinage Act of 1792 or per some other act to remove doubt--instead of borrowing words from ambiguous places. Also, it might be that 'shall' can mean 'may' or 'should'.

People living in territories are technically U.S. citizens, but their governments do not have the same range of rights and powers as full-fledged states do. On the broadest level, states are part of the union, while territories are owned by it. Territories like the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are self-governed to an extent, but they are ultimately beholden to the federal U.S. government.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8080703_dif...territory.html
    The jurisdictional and type of authority issue is important. For example, D.C. 'residents' aren't regarded as having the same 'rights' as, say, those of Massachusetts. DC is essentially a territory or a territorial government--thusly Congress is akin to its 'board of aldermen'. D.C. folk don't have senators or representatives in the Senate or the House respectively. Consider that U.S. Congress can pass 'laws' to make napkins money on a military base and it would be 'lawful' (i.e. legal) in the sense of lawful meaning legal in the inorganic sense of the word but in Massachusetts it might both illegal and unlawful. Thus another issue: the distinction between lawful and legal or unlawful and illegal.

Another question is are they using the word lawful to mean legal (ergo: legal tender).

The terms lawful and legal differ in that the former contemplates the substance of law, whereas the latter alludes to the form of law.

Mayor: As Mayor of the Munchkin City, In the County of the Land of Oz, I welcome you most regally.
    Barrister: But we've got to verify it legally, to see
    Mayor: To see?
    Barrister: If she
    Mayor: If she?
    Barrister: Is morally, ethic'lly
    Father No.1: Spiritually, physically
    Father No. 2: Positively, absolutely
    Munchkins: Undeniably and reliably Dead

Coroner: As Coroner I must aver, I thoroughly examined her. And she's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.
    Mayor: Then this is a day of Independence For all the Munchkins and their descendants
    Barrister: If any.
    Mayor: Yes, let the joyous news be spread The wicked Old Witch at last is dead!
    Re: The Difference Between a State & a Territory
    Last edited by allodial; 01-22-15 at 05:37 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.