Thread: redeeming lawful money and 1099 questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyz33 View Post
    Is there a simple 1 page sample of "notice and demand " on these forums to send to my ex employers bank?

And since I'm now classified as a independent contractor , I do not have a W-4 anymore I'm assuming.

The one thing I plan on doing also to help myself out is revising my SS card to reflect non- resident alien , non-taxpayer status. Basically correcting my citizenship on top of the redemption process. Any thoughts on that?
    Shelby, so you do not get slammed or bludgeoned or otherwise thrown in jail, PLEASE review the following regarding your TRUE status - (underline/emphasis below, by me):

Definition of Resident Alien
    Resident aliens generally are taxed on their worldwide income, similar to U.S. citizens. To be classified as a resident alien, the individual must meet one of two tests:

1. Green Card Test
    A resident alien is a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. at any time if they have been given the privilege, according to the immigration laws, of residing permanently as an immigrant. You generally have this status if the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (or its predecessor organization) has issued you an alien registration card, also known as a “green card.”

2. Substantial Presence Test
    A non-resident alien is classified as a resident alien for tax purposes if they were physically present in the U.S. for 31 days during the current year and 183 days during a three-year period that includes the current year and the two years immediately before that.
    Information on the test is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

Definition of Non-resident Alien

If a person does not meet either the Green Card or Substantial Presence Test, then that person is classified as a non-resident alien.
    A new arrival on a J-1 or F-1 visa is generally a non-resident alien.
    Generally, students (F-1 or J-1 visa status) will not meet the substantial presence test until they have been in the USA for 5 calendar years and visiting teachers/researchers (J-1 visa status) will not meet the substantial presence test until they have been in the USA for 2 calendar years.
    Last edited by itsmymoney; 02-01-15 at 06:26 AM.