Thread: All Caps, Block Letters & CLARIFYING

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    The mention (OP) above is simply an addition to what has been gleaned from open source info. It is a simple reference to yet another piece of the open source puzzle (take a look at Erica Carle's book). It is readily available and open source info that uppercase and italics are used for names of corporations (dead things), titles, acronyms and symbols. In other words, the OP takes as a given what is already established and introduces that in addition to the established facts, the term clarification supports the obviated truth even further. The use of uppercase in law is like "slang" as in: a hint.

However, the hype and misinformation tends to fixate on one thing while ignoring (distracting you from) more valuable information: italics and uppercase are used for names of vessels.
    my comment about open source info was just that, not directed at OP.

if its written in english then it should conform to the oxford or chicago manual of styles. especially law(s), no? those manuals indicate it is either "GLOSSA" or "American Sign Language" depending on if hyphens are used between the words. no mention of "slang" or anything else regarding all caps words. sure, others are free to make contracts however they wish i guess but if they write them in english, IFAIAA, the manual of styles indicates what the exact specifications of it (english) are to be.

the GLOSSA is no longer just names and such, its usage has become widespread on so called official documents. and FRNs!

edit: i think that the reason they have "American Sign Language" under the foreign languages section is because they may be using word "sign" instead of "symbols". why else would it be in the foreign languages section?
    Last edited by george; 10-17-16 at 07:23 AM.