Thread: DOB Not Required

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name:  ICAO_SEX_II.png
Views: 1152
Size:  10.4 KB
    More (above) on unknown or unspecified gender.

Name:  UKN_DOB2.png
Views: 1230
Size:  25.6 KB

ICAO travel documents can have "visual inspection zone" or "VIZ" (i.e. the eyeball-readable area as compared to the OCR or RFID or barcodes), the MRZ and electronic/RFID data. DOB is *OPTIONAL*. I found the same instructions in a U.S. Consular instruction (i.e. put the part of DOB that you know or ..blank is possible).

Name:  POB_OPTIONAL_ALSO.png
Views: 1249
Size:  43.8 KB

Its widely known that place of birth can be left out of a passport. Canada allows requesting such to be left out. US Dept. of State apparently feels it to be 'mandatory'. Note that according to ICAO Doc. 9303 Part 1 Vol. 1 IV-11 "place of birth" is OPTIONAL.

Name:  ICAO_NAME_CAN_BE_ONE_PART_VOL1_PT1_DOC9030.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  71.7 KB
    Where the holder's name only has predominant component(s) [note the (s) allows for the singular], this data field SHALL BE LEFT BLANK.
    Clearly, name can be ONE PART. Let's clarify what this means in MRZ terms. If there is a first name and a last name then you have << to separate them in the MRZ. Now China doesn't do it "LAST FIRST". but they separate into to parts like
    "LAO<<TZU". (apparently means LAO, TZU) [while LAO<TZU would mean "LAO TZU" with no comma--not separate parts].
    While USA, ISL and most others do
    "SMITH<<JOHN<DOE" (which apparently means "SMITH, JOHN DOE")
    (i.e. "LAST FIRST") China does it "FIRST LAST". ***HOWEVER** ICAO says: *IF* there is only one part....*LEAVE THE SECOND PART BLANK*. So that means if there is only, say, "David" they are told to put "DAVID<<<<<<<" in the MRZ. Interestingly on both booklet passports and passport cards, the name/identifier pretty much gets its own line to itself on the MRZ.
    Last edited by allodial; 09-19-11 at 07:23 PM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.