Quote Originally Posted by David Merrill View Post
I do not have a SSN.

There was no credit involved. The surety was posted on the cash - the signatures of the US Treasurer and the Secretary. They need no more surety because there is no more credit involved than trusting in the United States.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had a social security number. My question was more general. For instance, I have a number, but I'm toying with the idea of not using it any longer. I'm exploring all the ramifications of what could happen if I did quit using it.

But you said no credit was involved. While that's true from your perspective, the bank from which you purchased the debit card created an account for you, and credited your account with the amount. (It seems like trusts are on my mind these days.) Since you deposited lawful money on account with the bank, the bank then became the trustee of the account.

I see your point about sureties though, and it's a good one. That makes me question what other fiduciary responsibilities the trustee might have. I will dwell on that for a while, and see what percolates. Thanks.

Cheers