Chex,

This is what the bank agent forwarded from the person (officer I suppose) responsible for denying me, verbatim...

'This is an urban myth and periodically circles the financial world. Due to regulatory approval and customer volume, we do not deviate from our standard account agreement upon individual customer requests. Therefore, we are not allowed to modify the terms and conditions of the contract (signature card) established with Marine Bank. The actual ACT is below

Federal reserve notes, to be issued at the discretion of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for the purpose of making advances to Federal reserve banks through the Federal reserve agents as hereinafter set forth and for no other purpose, are authorized. The said notes shall be obligations of the United States and shall be receivable by all national and member banks and Federal reserve banks and for all taxes, customs, and other public dues. They shall be redeemed in lawful money on demand at the Treasury Department of the United States, in the city of Washington, District of Columbia, or at any Federal Reserve bank.'

Now obviously (as David M pointed out) they are deterring me, obfuscating, and bascally lying to me becase they and I know what's going on here. I find it laugable that she cited the very language (USC 411) that rebuts her position. Or, she has misinterpreted USC 411 incorrectly (that would be a shame considering her title). The agent said the officer was going to call me but I'm sure I'll wait until the end of time to hear from her. Also, has anyone seen Title 12 USC 342? Clear distinction between currency: lawful money, Federal Reserve notes.

I will try another bank for the sig card novation, but I am thinking of writing the officer and providing her with the laws she supposedly knows already. Maybe she thought it was ME who did not understand USC 411 and was trying to bet on my ignorance of the statute.

Keith Alan, you are correct. They have not actually said I could NOT deposit or redeem in lawful money. Which leads to my next question to David and everyone else...

If I deposit restricted checks (or notes) into that non-restricted account, and withdrawal all monies as lawful money from that account (novation on withdrawal slips) and subsequently purchase money orders with those withdrawals to pay merchants for goods and services, will this execution override the 'generic' signature card language and the future debt obligation of those transactions?