Thread: "ID scans for beer" - A Note On Buying Adult Beverages

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Its sufficient to see the license rather than scan it. The ID validation books they sell nowadays are rather detailed and its easy to determine if an ID is valid or not --even if its a good fake, that isn't the responsibility of the store to make counterfeit proof ID. If someone clearly looks to be over 18, it should not be an issue.

From first hand observation, more and more police organizations are encouraging even bars to scan IDs using scanners instead of relying on manual reconition. (Of course, some people fail to realize even that part of the ID can be copied and faked!) Although the bar scanners don't necessarily collect information, the ones at the grocery store you are likely tied into a very vast information repository creating a deep profile about you.

One option is to use a passport or a passport card without RFID--likely a grocery store will be unable to scan the (optical) MRZ although it is possible. They may however have an RFID/NFC (near field communication) system set up. One could use an RFID/NFC shield alternatively. It should be of sufficiency to check the birth date without a scan.

One might consider going to the State AG to curb that kind of intrusion because a vendor (licensed by the State) should not have authority to bar a transaction because someone prefers to opt out of being profiled. They are also doing the same thing with art supplies. I went to acquire some acrylic sealer to preserve family and business documents (i.e. makes them waterproof) the clerk said he needed to see ID. I laughed. I took a trip a couple miles away and acquired the sealer without ID. The clerk's excuse was "people use to get high..we have to treat everyone the same" to which I replied "so if that guy kills someone you get to do time with him?" He had a perplexed look on his face as I walked off.

BTW, those self check out terminals at grocery stores appear to be the two way kind of camera/screen technology. The technology of embedding cameras in LED/LCD screens has been around for quite some time.
    Last edited by allodial; 09-06-15 at 02:50 AM.
    All rights reserved. Without prejudice. No liability assumed. No value assured.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter." Proverbs 25:2
    Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Thess. 5:21.

Quote Originally Posted by allodial View Post
    Its sufficient to see the license rather than scan it. The ID validation books they sell nowadays are rather detailed and its easy to determine if an ID is valid or not --even if its a good fake, that isn't the responsibility of the store to make counterfeit proof ID. If someone clearly looks to be over 18, it should not be an issue.

From first hand observation, more and more police organizations are encouraging even bars to scan IDs using scanners instead of relying on manual reconition. (Of course, some people fail to realize even that part of the ID can be copied and faked!) Although the bar scanners don't necessarily collect information, the ones at the grocery store you are likely tied into a very vast information repository creating a deep profile about you.

One option is to use a passport or a passport card without RFID--likely a grocery store will be unable to scan the (optical) MRZ although it is possible. They may however have an RFID/NFC (near field communication) system set up. One could use an RFID/NFC shield alternatively. It should be of sufficiency to check the birth date without a scan.

One might consider going to the State AG to curb that kind of intrusion because a vendor (licensed by the State) should not have authority to bar a transaction because someone prefers to opt out of being profiled. They are also doing the same thing with art supplies. I went to acquire some acrylic sealer to preserve family and business documents (i.e. makes them waterproof) the clerk said he needed to see ID. I laughed. I took a trip a couple miles away and acquired the sealer without ID. The clerk's excuse was "people use to get high..we have to treat everyone the same" to which I replied "so if that guy kills someone you get to do time with him?" He had a perplexed look on his face as I walked off.

BTW, those self check out terminals at grocery stores appear to be the two way kind of camera/screen technology. The technology of embedding cameras in LED/LCD screens has been around for quite some time.

That RFID chip isn't as benign as they tell us it is either, it most certainly does transmit ACTIVELY! It's only passive in pet recovery chip apps, but the bank cards & STATE ID's are active devices in most cases. Of course they could look at someone's ID to determine if it's a fake or not, but they won't do that. Instead it will just be a further intrusion into the private lives of ordinary Americans for no good reason.
    Last edited by loveunderlaw; 09-06-15 at 12:26 PM.