2) The Way is in training
3) Become acquainted with every art
4) Learn the ways of every occupation
5) Distinguish gain and loss in worldly matters
6) Develop intuitive judgment and an understanding of all things
7) Perceive those things that cannot be seen
8) Pay attention, even to trifles
9) Do nothing that is of no use

That is found in Timing in Strategy - A Book of Five Rings.

By registering the birth at the county clerk and recorder you then serve it on any Department of Health. Use that proof of service for the hospital when they start pestering you for signatures on any birth certificate. The problem is that you would need a private or professional process server running around doing all this for the parents while they bond with the infant at the hospital. And it would be nice to have a friend telling the officials to get out of the hospital room too.
Well, if my parents had done what I'm suggesting, I'd have evidence that my name is mine and mine alone, without any state agency attached. I'd still have the option to use the agency, or in the alternative, if I didn't wish to use the agency, I'd have very good evidence of my status as a native born Californian, and not simply being a resident thereof.

As far as the problem of having to do the work of performing a survey, preparing a notice, and making the record with the county, I think people should actively be doing that, regardless of the extra effort. It would give their posterity the option to use the State agency or not. There would be a clear record of both the State agency, and the private name.