"In my opinion, the county courthouse is a public building and the clerk is available, and obligated, to serve the public."

I completely agree with this. The duties and obligations are upon the public servant, they are the trustee of the public trust. I have been fighting property taxation for some time now. What I have found, and what I believe is this. When they come against you to forcibly collect the tax, they have no case. The have no claim. Actually in my State, the statute specifically states 'in summary manner, without pleadings'. A claim is a pleading. Without pleadings is without a claim. Without a claim, there is no jurisdiction of the court to act. But, since someone will allow a case without pleadings (and or judgment) to stand against him, it, IMO, is considered an agreed case. IMO, that is the consent. The courts here have even held, 'no case can find lodging within the courts of this State, without pleadings or the statutorily required affidavit for an agreed case' (paraphrased but close)'. Some later case even took the affidavit requirement to be from 'one of the parties'. Here, the treasurer and auditor 'enter into an agreement' to bring the case. Interesting, ain't it?