Thread: What I have learned so far.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Captain's log, stardate 41156.2
    Upon arrival we had some trouble getting the cube sum number locks to open but with help from engineering we eventually docked and were warmly received. Good meeting with the liason, Mister X. It's Federation policy to spy on all bases but this one seems more infiltrated than most. Some are easy to spot but some so good I'm not always sure I'm dealing with the agent or the suitor.

I have learned so far there are several transplants here from the LostHorizons colony founded by P. Hendrickson. He taught the income tax as an excise on the gainful exercise of privileges and concluded that private sector earnings were nontaxable. Of course the judge didn't agree and incarcerated him (and his wife) yet he retains quite a following; the so-called CTC warriors.

CAPT: Why are they bouncing balls in their left hands?
    SPOCK: It is said to improve right-brain function, Captain.
    CAPT: They do seem quite intelligent. But why no resistance? I mean they're not the least bit hostile.
    SPOCK: Why should they be? They're doing nothing wrong.
    CAPT: So this thing they're doing - redeeming lawful money - it's legal?
    SPOCK: Yes Captain.
    CAPT: OK Spock, explain the conundrum to me again, briefly.
    SPOCK: Banknotes were once redeemable in latinum or silver, on demand. When they took away the option to redeem FRNs in metal, the option to redeem the notes in lawful money remained, U.S. notes. See Section 16 of the Federal Reserve Act codified at 12 USC 411.
    CAPT: But U.S. notes are no longer printed.
    SPOCK: Correct, they serve no function not also served by FRNs which is legal tender.
    CAPT: So the FRN is legal tender but not lawful money. Does the FRN redeem itself into itself?
    SPOCK: Not quite. The FRN is dual capacity - two seals - two functions. If you make demand for lawful money by restrictive endorsement then you have lawful money (U.S. notes) in the form of FRNs in your hand.
    CAPT: (scratches head) Bones, what do you make of it?
    McCOY: dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a metaphysician.
    Last edited by lorne; 04-25-18 at 07:49 PM.