Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Freedave, thanks for taking the time to read through my post. I thought it to be a little dense and hope that my statements were concise.

Depositing by mail. Well, I am no authority on this topic. I do hope that we can work together to develop the right approach for the challenges we face. I and am really hoping to stimulate a little thought and refinement on the specific wording for endorsement qualifiers (modifiers, limiters, demands). It was Dave Merrill who first opened my eyes to this function a few years back. Thanks Dave. We put our faith in the possibility that we are not without remedy, and I hope that we are successful at properly exercizing and enjoying that remedy.

I have the convenience of ATM deposit for checks. I stamp and sign the checks and photocopy both sides, I then deposit them via ATM and the machine provides a photocopy of the face of the checks I deposited. The documentation of the qualified endorsement, I think is important. And if that qualified endorsement does do what we believe it to do, having proof that you used it may be an important defense should one be faced with defending against a claim for liability.

Regarding a check mailed for deposit: I might offer that hand printing the first one is a good idea. I suspect I might use the following qualifier for a check submitted by mail for deposit: For deposit on account # xxxxx
as redeemed lawful money

I do not see the need to also insert the cite of USC since the operative phrase "redeemed lawful money" makes it clear that the deposit substance is limited to "redeemed lawful money".
You're welcome, Publius, and thank you for your additional ideas.

It is not clear to me why "as redeemed lawful money" would be used since I thought that the redemption would happen when I actually receive the currency (in my case via an ATM machine. That's why I had earlier asked about the possibility of using "Deposited for credit on account #XXXXXXXXXX to be redeemed in lawful money."

Would "For deposit on account # xxxxx to be redeemed in lawful money" serve the purpose?

And then there is the question of whether or not the deposit would be accepted without the first and last name signed in longhand on the back of the check.