Thread: Patroons of New York

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Patroons of New York

I painted a picture for the Mormons recently. Get a look for a brief description of my family heritage.

Key to understanding how my heritage survived British Rule is the avoidance of British manorial law.

However, author Harold D. Eberlein states: "there never was a duly and legally constituted Van Pelt Manor and this appellation has no defense whatever on any historic grounds. In 1675, 1678 and 1680 considerable tracts of land were acquired by Teunis Van Pelt, the emigre, and added to what he already had previously.
    Better than that I recognize a thinly veiled anointing:

From the little school-house near VAN PELT Manor the school-chi1dren were hustled home for fresh linen and face-washings and hair-combings; and they were as quickly marched back, dressed in new clothes and company manners, for the great George Washington would pass their way. At last, after many anxious scannings of the road, they saw him riding toward the little school-house, and the children lined up and waited until he approached. Litte Peter VAN PELT was on the end of the line, and he was the last boy to whom George Washington spoke; and to little Peter he looked very tall, as he came near to him and laid his hand on Peter's head.

"Be a good boy, my son," said Washington, "and you will be a good man."
    To understand that my way though this photo of the Van Pelt Milestone in the Brooklyn Historical Society will help:

The encrypted story is there if you have the key.
    Last edited by David Merrill; 11-07-12 at 02:52 PM.